Cet article a été publié dans un numéro de la revue, cliquez ici pour y accéder
Foreign body ingestion is a common pediatric complaint. Most foreign bodies pass spontaneously through the gastrointestinal tract, but bowel obstruction is a rare complication that can occur. We report a case of a 14-month-old infant with complete bowel obstruction due to ingestion of a polymer bead used for botanical arrangements. A laparotomy was performed to remove the object, resolving the symptoms. Polymer beads are brightly coloured and are of a size that is easy to swallow by very young children, increasing the risk of accidental ingestion. They increase in size over a short period of time during their passage through the gastrointestinal tract, causing significant morbidity.Le texte complet de cet article est disponible en PDF.
Keywords : Bowel obstruction, Accidental ingestion, Gastrointestinal tract