Médecine

Paramédical

Autres domaines


S'abonner

Medication adherence and cannabis use among schizophrenic patients - 13/04/16

Doi : 10.1016/j.eurpsy.2016.01.613 
S. Bouri 1, , H. Zemmama 2, K. El Ayoubi 2, M.A. Berraho 3, A. Abdellaoui 4, S. Achour 5, I. Rammouz 2
1 Faculty of science- Dhar El Mahraz, laboratory physiology - pharmacology & environmental health, Fez, Morocco 
2 Faculty of medicine, clinical neurosciences laboratory, Fez, Morocco 
3 Faculty of medicine, epidemiology public health, Fez, Morocco 
4 Faculty of science, physiology- pharmacology-environmental health, Fez, Morocco 
5 University hospital Hassan II, toxicology unit, Fez, Morocco 

Corresponding author.

Bienvenue sur EM-consulte, la référence des professionnels de santé.
L’accès au texte intégral de cet article nécessite un abonnement.

pages 2
Iconographies 0
Vidéos 0
Autres 0

Résumé

Introduction

Substance use is usually associated with poorer psychiatric medication adherence among schizophrenic patients. Previous findings remain unclear about the relationship between cannabis use and poor medication adherence. Identifying predictor factors of medication adherence among these patients is very important because it's associated with relapse and re-hospitalization.

Objective

Determining whether cannabis use is a risk factor for compliance to medication in a population of schizophrenic patients.

Method

Schizophrenic inpatients were assessed by Medication Adherence Rating Scale (MARS). Socio-demographic, clinical data, and urine drug screens were collected just after their admission.

Results

A sample of 403 inpatients with schizophrenia diagnosed with Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition (DSM-IV) criteria (mean age=33, 35±9, 16), predominantly man (90%), paranoid (62%) and 89% of them received classical antipsychotics. A total of (n=25; 6, 2%) inpatients were adherent, among this group, 19 patients (76%) were tested negative for cannabis use, and the rest of them (n=6; 24%) were tested positive. These results show a high significant correlation between cannabis use and medication adherence (P=0.009). Besides, medication adherence is strongly associated with a high socioeconomic status (P=0.005).

Conclusion

Cannabis use has a major effect on the non-adherence to medication treatment for schizophrenia. These results could be more effective if it addresses issues of cannabis use with patients throughout the early years of treatment.

Le texte complet de cet article est disponible en PDF.

Plan


© 2016  Publié par Elsevier Masson SAS.
Ajouter à ma bibliothèque Retirer de ma bibliothèque Imprimer
Export

    Export citations

  • Fichier

  • Contenu

Vol 33 - N° S

P. S287-S288 - mars 2016 Retour au numéro

Bienvenue sur EM-consulte, la référence des professionnels de santé.
L’accès au texte intégral de cet article nécessite un abonnement.

Bienvenue sur EM-consulte, la référence des professionnels de santé.
L’achat d’article à l’unité est indisponible à l’heure actuelle.

Déjà abonné à cette revue ?

Mon compte


Plateformes Elsevier Masson

Déclaration CNIL

EM-CONSULTE.COM est déclaré à la CNIL, déclaration n° 1286925.

En application de la loi nº78-17 du 6 janvier 1978 relative à l'informatique, aux fichiers et aux libertés, vous disposez des droits d'opposition (art.26 de la loi), d'accès (art.34 à 38 de la loi), et de rectification (art.36 de la loi) des données vous concernant. Ainsi, vous pouvez exiger que soient rectifiées, complétées, clarifiées, mises à jour ou effacées les informations vous concernant qui sont inexactes, incomplètes, équivoques, périmées ou dont la collecte ou l'utilisation ou la conservation est interdite.
Les informations personnelles concernant les visiteurs de notre site, y compris leur identité, sont confidentielles.
Le responsable du site s'engage sur l'honneur à respecter les conditions légales de confidentialité applicables en France et à ne pas divulguer ces informations à des tiers.