Médecine

Paramédical

Autres domaines


S'abonner

Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for fulminant myocarditis: A 10-year multidisciplinary experience - 09/01/21

Doi : 10.1016/j.acvdsp.2020.10.102 
R. Buzzi 1, D. Grinberg 1, M. Flagiello 1, L. Sebbag 2, E. Hugon-Vallet 2, G. Baudry 2, S. Paulus 3, Z. Riad 3, J.L. Fellahi 3, J. Obadia 1, M. Pozzi 1,
1 Chirurgie Cardiaque, hôpital cardiologique Louis-Pradel, Lyon, France 
2 Cardiologie, Hôpital Cardiologique Louis Pradel, Lyon, France 
3 Anesthésie et Réanimation, Hôpital Cardiologique Louis Pradel, Lyon, France 

Corresponding author.

Bienvenue sur EM-consulte, la référence des professionnels de santé.
Article gratuit.

Connectez-vous pour en bénéficier!

Résumé

Background

Fulminant myocarditis is a life-threatening condition characterized by hemodynamic instability leading to cardiogenic shock or cardiac arrest. Veno-arterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) could be used in patients refractory to conventional treatment.

Purpose

We aimed to investigate the clinical characteristics and outcomes of fulminant myocarditis patients managed with ECMO at a single-centre, multidisciplinary experience.

Methods

We performed a retrospective observational analysis of our local database. The diagnosis of myocarditis was made from clinical, biologic and imaging criteria according to European guidelines. The primary endpoint was survival to hospital discharge.

Results

Of the 577 patients who had ECLS from January 2010 to December 2019, 16 (2.7%) were treated for fulminant myocarditis. The mean age was 38.5 years (range 21–69 years) and 68.7% were female. Main symptoms at hospital admission were: chest pain (N=6, 37.5%), heart failure (N=6, 37.5%), syncope (N=3, 18.7%) and cardiogenic shock (N=1, 6.2%). Seven (43.7%) patients presented a flu-like syndrome prior to the first medical contact. Complementary diagnostic tools included endomyocardial biopsy (N=8, 50%) and cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (N=7, 43.7%). ECMO was implanted during on-going cardiopulmonary resuscitation in 2 (12.5%) patients. Five (31.3%) patients died during ECMO support while 10 (62.5%) were successfully weaned after a mean ECMO support of 9.3 days. One (6.2%) patient was switched to a left ventricular assist device as a bridge-to-transplantation. Overall survival to hospital discharge was 68.7% (N=11). After the acute phase, most (72.7%) of the survivors displayed a normal left ventricular ejection fraction at hospital discharge.

Conclusion

ECMO offered a satisfactory survival to hospital discharge in these critically ill patients. Our results underscore the high potential of myocardial recovery after the acute phase of fulminant myocarditis.

Le texte complet de cet article est disponible en PDF.

Plan


© 2020  Publié par Elsevier Masson SAS.
Ajouter à ma bibliothèque Retirer de ma bibliothèque Imprimer
Export

    Export citations

  • Fichier

  • Contenu

Vol 13 - N° 1

P. 32-33 - janvier 2021 Retour au numéro
Article précédent Article précédent
  • Incidence of sudden cardiac death after heart transplantation
  • G. Bonnet, G. Coutance, V. Waldmann, O. Aubert, A. Asselin, M. Raynaud, M.C. Bories, J. Caudron, P. Rouvier, R. Guillemain, S. Varnous, P. Bruneval, P. Leprince, E. Marijon, A. Loupy, X. Jouven
| Article suivant Article suivant
  • COVID-19 in young patients: Less cardiovascular risk factors but more specific cardiovascular complications
  • A. Trimaille, S. Ribeyrolles, C. Fauvel, C. Chaumont, O. Weizman, T. Pommier, J. Cellier, V. Panagides, B. Duceau, W. Sutter, V. Waldmann, D. Mika, T. Pezel, A. Cohen, G. Bonnet, L. Genest

Bienvenue sur EM-consulte, la référence des professionnels de santé.
L’accès au texte intégral de cet article nécessite un abonnement.

Mon compte


Plateformes Elsevier Masson

Déclaration CNIL

EM-CONSULTE.COM est déclaré à la CNIL, déclaration n° 1286925.

En application de la loi nº78-17 du 6 janvier 1978 relative à l'informatique, aux fichiers et aux libertés, vous disposez des droits d'opposition (art.26 de la loi), d'accès (art.34 à 38 de la loi), et de rectification (art.36 de la loi) des données vous concernant. Ainsi, vous pouvez exiger que soient rectifiées, complétées, clarifiées, mises à jour ou effacées les informations vous concernant qui sont inexactes, incomplètes, équivoques, périmées ou dont la collecte ou l'utilisation ou la conservation est interdite.
Les informations personnelles concernant les visiteurs de notre site, y compris leur identité, sont confidentielles.
Le responsable du site s'engage sur l'honneur à respecter les conditions légales de confidentialité applicables en France et à ne pas divulguer ces informations à des tiers.