• Calorie restriction increases longevity in rodents, delays the onset of certain diseases and has positive effects on ageing.
• Studies are ongoing in non-human primates.
• Eight persons following such a diet for 2 years reacted as anticipated (loss of body weight and fat, decrease in glycaemia and body temperature, etc.).
• Calorie restriction perhaps teaches us more on the means of resisting malnutrition than on ageing in normal dietary conditions.
• Calorie restriction is a tool for research, but it should not be recommended by practitioners, notably in elderly patients.
© 2005 Elsevier Masson SAS. Tous droits réservés.